Monday, July 18, 2011

Fig Newtons for Breakfast

Last Wednesday, I took Bubble Boy back to the allergist.  When we found out about all of his food allergies, the doctor told me that if we chose, they might be able to make up a neutralizing formulation specific to some of the foods that would allow Bubble Boy to eat them in moderation.  Doing this meant a lot more pokes (shots) and on that day, Bubble Boy had been through enough.

I explained to him that the doctor might be able to help him eat more foods, but he maintained that he didn't care how much he was allergic to, he didn't want any more pokes.  Frankly, he's been through so much, I wasn't going to push the issue.  I left it up to him.

For a few weeks, he stuck to his guns.  No more pokes.  Then we realized that he really is allergic to corn, and his crazy diet got a lot crazier.  One night at dinner, we were trying to encourage him to get the pokes so he could eat more food.  Finally, I threw down the ultimate gauntlet:

"Bubble Boy, I am worried that if you don't get any pokes, there won't be a single thing in your Halloween bag that you will be able to eat."

I know that sounds like a terribly mean threat, but it is absolutely true.  Being allergic to peanuts, chocolate, corn and cottonseed is a death knell to Easter baskets, Christmas stockings, and Halloween candy.  (I'm not all evil--I had been thinking ahead and planned to replace all of the candy with organic or all natural candies.  I had also thought of the option of "buying" the candy from him and giving him money for it that he could use to buy a toy train.)

But he made up his mind.  He would make a black belt decision (he takes karate) and opted to get some pokes.  In the spirit of leaving this decision in his hands, I also let him decide which foods he would get pokes for and therefore be able to eat.  He chose corn, peanuts, cottonseed, chicken, and eggs.

So on Wednesday, we spent 6.5 hours at the allergist getting tons of pokes.  It was a rough day, because of the screaming and crying during the pokes, but also because as they gave him the little injections under his skin, I could see his body begin to betray him.

As they did the egg test, he began wildly clenching his hands.  During the peanut test, his scalp began to itch and he got bizarrely hyper.

They formulated the drops for him and explained what I already suspected.  Taking the drops doesn't mean that he can just go crazy and eat all of these foods.  We are practicing extreme moderation and we also have to be sure to alternate the foods that he has.  My general plan is to keep feeding him the same foods at home, so that when we are out and about, he can do a little bit of cheating.  For instance, our grocery store offers kids free sugar cookies.  Now he can eat one when we go, even though it contains eggs, and I'm sure, some sort of corn product.

He had to take the drops for at least 3 days before trying any of the foods.  His first request was fig newtons, so on Saturday morning, I served this up to him for breakfast.



And after dinner last night, he asked for 5 mini marshmallows for dessert......and got them.

Even though we're not going to be going crazy with this--I'm so happy for him that he has a very little bit of wiggle room.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! He is so brave and tough (and so are you!!). I hope it ends up making life easier for you guys. My heart goes out to you. I think it's great that youre writing all of this. I didn't even know it was possible to take drops so you could have small amounts of a food you are allergic to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended a class on the Feingold diet this weekend, and it was fascinating. You have obviously researched food allergies much more than I have, but I wanted to share incase you hadn't heard of this. The website is www.feingold.org. Basically, they believe that preservatives and artificial food dyes damage the nervous system. I just wanted to share incase it might be helpful.

    Ronica

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me feel happy inside and help me forget for a brief moment that there are only so many ways to prepare tofu.