Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I feel like I've been neglecting this--my second, smaller, red headed stepchild of a blog.  It's mostly because I've been busy.  Busy and discouraged.  Or maybe busy being discouraged.  Bubble Boys tics are increasing again.  They're still not as bad as they were, but they're pretty bad right now.  I find myself wracking my brain constantly trying to figure everything out.  It wouldn't bother me so much if I realized that we had made some food mistakes, but when we think we're doing everything right and this happens, it's confusing.

I keep coming back to corn.  How interesting, right?  (not)  Corn was one of the many "questionable" foods that showed up on Bubble Boy's test.  And it's in pretty much everything.  Seriously.  Think of corn starch and corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup and corn oil.  It seems like I can at least track other tic "surges" to him eating corn on the cob, corn Chex, and corn chips.  So starting today, I am removing corn for 4 days, then I will do a corn test.  And to do it (on top of the 10 other foods) seems to take as much work as sending a rocket into space.

But now I want to stop complaining a bit and talk about some victories.  Bubble Boy has agreed to try new foods every day, and he's doing great at it.  Granted, he only likes about 10% of what he tries, but that's okay.  We keep plugging along.

First there was sunflower seeds--he likes them!  I was shocked.  Then yesterday I bought pumpkin seeds which are high in protein.  He didn't like them that well, but I mixed them in with sunflower seeds and he doesn't know the difference.  So that's pretty awesome.  I think I will also mix in some raisins and that will be a good little snack.  Or heck, even a side dish at dinner.

And he tried pineapple, and liked it.  I'm not surprised that he liked it--he loves fruit, more surprised that he has refused to try it up until now.

Then I found a brand of crescent rolls that didn't contain cottonseed oil!  They are by the Immaculate Baking Company, which also makes delicious premade cookies--my favorite is the molasses gingersnap ones.  I don't know if these crescent rolls contain any corn because I do not have a package on hand.  We won't worry about that right now.

I've been doing a ton of baking.  Some of my successes have been pumpkin muffins, pumpkin oatmeal cookies, wowbutter oatmeal cookies, molasses raisin muffins, zucchini muffins and gingersnaps.  I even found a good boxed cake mix at Whole Foods that didn't need or contain eggs, and we had some yummy cupcakes for Rocket Man's birthday.  (I have pictures of all of this lovely, delicious fare, but I left my camera at the beach....grrr)

While we have all agreed that the gingersnaps are by far, the most popular thing I've made, I have to say the molasses raisin muffins won the prize for equal deliciousness and healthiness.  I linked to the original recipe above, but I will share it here because I made a number of modifications.

2 cups plain yogurt (great, because Bubble Boy doesn't eat any dairy other than cheese!)
1 single serve cup of unsweetened, organic applesauce (instead of 1 egg)
1/2 cup brown sugar (I added this because there was no sugar in the recipe...1/4 cup would probably have worked too)
1/3 cup molasses
1/2 cup raisins (I decreased by half.  1 cup of raisins seemed a bit like overkill)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup quick cooking oats
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp bakingsoda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt

(follow the prep and baking instructions on the site I linked to)

Don't be too impressed.  I've had my share of flops too.  Pumpkin french toast was a major flop with the kids, and I cannot seem to make a decent granola bar to save my life.  I think my trouble there was that I kept substituting apple sauce for certain ingredients and it turns out cake-y.

So there you have it.  I've been a frustrated, discouraged, baking fool, who sends any extra baked goods that need to be eaten to my husband's office.  As it turns out, those rocket scientists will eat just about anything.  Even cookies made with fake peanut butter and tofu.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally understand your frustrations and discouragement, but you get 10 thumbs up from me for persistence! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me feel happy inside and help me forget for a brief moment that there are only so many ways to prepare tofu.